November 19, 2008
The Office of Telecommunications Management (OTM) recently established new contracts with AT&T and CenturyTel Solutions for Local Telecommunications Services. The services available include analog residential and business telephone service, PBX trunking services (T1 services), Primary Rate Interface (PRI) service, and DID number blocks. There are some customer restrictions as to the availability and use of these new contracts.
All AT&T Customers
The new AT&T contract is for state agencies in all areas of Louisiana in which AT&T currently provides service. For those agencies receiving local telecommunications services from AT&T, OTM has already issued service orders to AT&T to convert all current AT&T billing to the new contract rates for the above listed services.
Based on the new AT&T contract, most agencies with AT&T local telecommunications services will see a reduction in cost on the October, 2008, OTM bill. The new AT&T contract will result in an overall savings in telecommunications costs to the state of approximately $140,000 per month. A few agencies may see an increase in some of their costs, specifically because of non-contract items such as some usage-based circuits, circuit mileage, and FX lines. However, OTM did move forward to take advantage of the overall savings.
OTM will work with those few AT&T served agencies whose cost increased based on the implementation of the new contract. As appropriate, OTM will issue credits to those agencies on an interim basis. Contact Brenda Turner in the OTM Billing Section at 225-342-7743 for more information.
Alternate Local Service Provider
Current AT&T customers in Baton Rouge, Monroe, Ruston and Shreveport may have an opportunity to further reduce their monthly local service cost by converting to CenturyTel Solutions local service solutions now offered in those cities.
Before deciding to convert services or prior to ordering new services, agencies with service in Baton Rouge, Monroe, Ruston, and Shreveport should first take the following steps.
- Contact Linda Baumann in the OTM Customer Service Section at 225-342-7762 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Request a comparison concerning the availability and pricing of services for both AT&T and CenturyTel Solutions, as pricing varies between these contractors. Based on the agency’s request, OTM will determine which contractor(s) can technically provide the service required at the specific agency's address. If both contractors are able to provide the requested service, OTM will request price quotes from the contractors and confirm applicable contract rates and service intervals. OTM will then provide this information to the agency.
- After receiving availability and comparative pricing and service interval information from OTM, the agency may select the desired contractor based on this information.
- The agency must then send a service request to the OTM Customer Service section for the selected service(s) and contract. OTM will then send a service order to the selected contractor.
NOTE: State agencies should not request or receive design services directly from the contract vendors. Requests for this work should be requested through the OTM Customer Service section. All design and engineering for state agency projects using these contracts must be completed through the OTM Voice Projects Section.
E-Rate Qualified Entities, Quasi-State Agencies, and Political Subdivisions
- E-Rate qualified entities may use these contracts. However, E-Rate qualified agencies must order E-Rate qualified services directly from the contractor. The contractor is responsible for verifying the eligibility and E-Rate discount applicable to the entity ordering the services.
- Written orders for quasi-state agencies and political subdivisions, such as local and parish government agencies, may be issued directly by the quasi-state agency or parish government agency to the contractor. The contractor may accept orders directly from these agencies.
- Only E-Rate qualified entities, quasi-state agencies and political subdivisions may order directly from the vendor. Billing will be by the contractor directly to these entities.
- Contract numbers are 407546 for AT&T, which provides services in most areas of the state, and 407547 for CenturyTel Solutions services in Baton Rouge, Monroe, Ruston, and Shreveport.
Please distribute this information to all purchasing, telecommunications, and information technology staff. For more information about this notice contact Jolene Ardoin at 225 342-8682 or email@example.com.