July 30, 2014
Partial Action Plan Will Invest $1 Million in Assistance
for Isaac-Affected Residents
BATON ROUGE - The State of Louisiana is accepting public comments on a Partial Action Plan that will invest $1 million in a new Homeowner Rehabilitation Program for low- to moderate-income residents whose homes were damaged as a result of Hurricane Isaac.
Partial Action Plan 2 allocates $1,000,000 from the previously created Hazard Mitigation Assistance Cost-Share for LMI Households Program to the newly created Homeowner Rehabilitation Program in order to address housing needs in parishes that did not receive separate Disaster Recovery Community Development Block Grant funding.
The funds are part of the $66.4 million in CDBG dollars that the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development allocated to Louisiana for recovery from the 2012 storm. The City of New Orleans, Jefferson Parish and St. Tammany Parish all received individual allocations from HUD. Of the $66.4 million, the state has allocated $32.7 million to St. John the Baptist Parish and $16.9 million to Plaquemines Parish for their Hurricane Isaac recovery efforts.
“Our communications with case managers and with the parishes impacted by Hurricane Isaac have shown that there are still substantial unmet housing needs as a result of the storm, including more than $387 million worth of damages in rural parishes,” said Pat Forbes, executive director of the Louisiana Office of Community Development. “This new program will address that need and help homeowners within those affected areas.”
The program will be administered by the Louisiana Housing Corporation.
LHC Executive Director Fred Tombar said, “By partnering with experienced nonprofits, developers and municipalities, we will be able to maximize our investment and help many families who are in desperate need of assistance to rebuild their damaged homes.”
The funds will assist low- to moderate-income homeowners who have a gap in financing their repairs due to limited resources and who are living in homes that are in a substandard condition and/or are in violation of code requirements. The program will be implemented only in those parishes impacted by Hurricane Isaac that did not receive direct allocations of Disaster Recovery CDBG funds. Eligible parishes include:
• East Baton Rouge
• East Feliciana
• Pointe Coupee
• St. Bernard
• St. Charles
• St. Helena
• St. James
• St. Martin
• St. Mary
• West Baton Rouge
• West Feliciana
The formal public comment period for Partial Action Plan 2 begins today, July 30, 2014 and runs until 5 p.m. Tuesday, Aug. 12, 2014.
After accepting public comments, the state will submit the plan to the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development for final federal approval. Members of the public can submit comments several ways:
• Using the online form at http://www.doa.louisiana.gov/cdbg/dr/IC_ActionPlans.htm;
• Emailing them to firstname.lastname@example.org;
• Mailing them to Disaster Recovery Unit, P.O. Box 94095, 70804-9095, Attn: Janice Lovett; or
• Faxing them to the attention of Janice Lovett at (225) 219-9605.
Citizens, community leaders and elected officials can access the plan and submit comments online by visiting http://www.doa.louisiana.gov/cdbg/dr/IC_ActionPlans.htm and opening “Isaac Partial Action Plan 2”. A copy of the plan can be requested by calling (225) 219-9600.
The Disaster Recovery Unit within the Office of Community Development is dedicated to helping Louisiana's citizens recover from hurricanes Katrina, Rita, Gustav, Ike and Isaac. As the state's central point for hurricane recovery, OCD-DRU manages the most extensive rebuilding effort in American history, working closely with local, state and federal partners to ensure that Louisiana recovers safer, stronger and smarter than before.