Re-Establishment of Louisiana Rebirth Panel
WHEREAS, Executive Order No. KBB 2006-8, issued February 16, 2006, created the Louisiana Rebirth Panel within the Department of Culture, Recreation and Tourism (hereafter "Department"), to establish an accountability review panel and/or a third-party performance and financial audit function (hereafter "Panel") that will design and implement a system to safeguard the proper use of culture, recreation and tourism funds;
WHEREAS, in accordance with Section 10 of Executive Order No. KBB 2006-8, the Panel expired on February 17, 2007;
WHEREAS, the lieutenant governor has requested the reestablishment of this independent accountability review panel with limited modifications;
NOW THEREFORE I, KATHLEEN BABINEAUX BLANCO, Governor of the state of Louisiana, by virtue of the authority vested by the Constitution and laws of the state of Louisiana, do hereby order and direct as follows:
SECTION 1: The Louisiana Rebirth Accountability Panel (hereafter “Panel”) is hereby reestablished within the Department of Culture, Recreation and Tourism;
SECTION 2: The duties of the Panel in the area of culture, recreation and tourism shall include, but are not limited to, the following:
A. Facilitate the achievements of the four (4) results specified in the plan:
1. Rebuild Louisiana to worldwide preeminence as a top tourist destination;
2. Make Louisiana’s cultural economy the engine of economic and social rebirth;
3. Build better lives and livelihoods for all of Louisiana’s people; and
4. Make Louisiana’s recovery the standard for high performance, accountability, and ethical behavior.
B. Develop a work plan for the Panel;
C. Review all sources of funds to implement Louisiana Rebirth, including but not limited to, federal, state, and local funds, and funds from the Louisiana Cultural Economy Foundation;
D. Regularly review and report the results achieved from the expenditure of culture, recreation and tourism funds; and
E. Recommend changes in state legislation, procedures or practices to enhance the state as a top tourist destination.
SECTION 3: The Panel shall submit a written comprehensive report annually to the lieutenant governor, the president of the Louisiana State Senate, the speaker of the Louisiana House of Representatives, and the public at-large on the issues set forth in Section 2 of this Order.
SECTION 4: A. The Panel shall be composed of nine (9) members who shall be appointed by and serve at the pleasure of the lieutenant governor, as follows:
1. One (1) representative with expertise in public accounting standards, exhibited by a relationship with the General Accounting Standards Board;
2. One (1) representative with broad expertise in administering performance systems and accounting standards associated with the Government Finance Officers Association;
3. One (1) current or former federal auditor;
4. One (1) representative of the Louisiana Recovery Authority;
5. One (1) private sector business leader from outside the state of Louisiana;
6. One (1) current or former state official from outside the state of Louisiana;
7. One (1) current or former city official from outside the state of Louisiana; and
8. Two (2) at-large members.
SECTION 5: No member of the Panel shall be an employee of any level of Louisiana government. For the purposes of this Order only, a board member of the Louisiana Recovery Authority shall not be considered an employee of any level of Louisiana government.
SECTION 6: The chair of the Panel shall be appointed by the Lt. Governor from the membership of the Panel. All other officers, if any, shall be elected by the membership of the Panel.
SECTION 7: The Panel shall meet at regularly scheduled meetings and at the call of the chair.
SECTION 8: A. Panel members shall not receive compensation or a per diem for their service on the Panel.
B. Panel members who are employees or elected public officials of the state of Louisiana or a political subdivision thereof may seek reimbursement of travel expenses from their agency or department in accordance with PPM 49.
SECTION 9: Support staff, facilities, and resources for the Panel shall be provided by the Department of Culture, Recreation and Tourism.
SECTION 10: All departments, commissions, boards, offices, entities, agencies, and officers of the state of Louisiana, or any political subdivision thereof, are authorized and directed to cooperate with the Panel in implementing the provisions of this Order.
SECTION 11: This Order is effective upon signature and shall continue in effect until amended, modified, terminated, or rescinded by the governor, or terminated by operation of law.
IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have set my hand officially and caused to be affixed the Great Seal of Louisiana, at the Capitol, in the city of Baton Rouge, on this 31st day of May, 2007.
Kathleen Babineaux Blanco
Secretary of State